Sunday, February 13, 2011

Android SDK and Emulator




I have been digging into the Android SDK and so far it's impressed me. Firstly, I was able to get a Hello World application compiled and emulated from within 15 minutes of starting the SDK download. In my experience with mobile SDK's that's insanely quick (obviously it helped that I use Eclipse and had a JDK already installed).

Secondly, the emulator is nice and easy to use. Check out Russell Beattie's screencast. It supports 4 profiles at the moment: landscape and portrait Half VGA and landscape and portrait Quarter VGA. Best of all the emulator has great configuration options, including the ability to replicate GPRS and 3G connectivity latency scenarios. Check out the emulator documentation. It's very comprehensive and easy to understand.

One final thing. I noticed some Python binaries in an SDK directory, anyone know their purpose?

No comments: